SPEF (Hellenic Association of Photovoltaic Energy Producers) was founded in March 2009 in order to support the interests of photovoltaic electricity producers. It is essentially both a scientific and a business association, since all members have implemented and grid connected solar parks in the Greek region. The members of the association are companies that own operating PV parks with installed capacity from 20KWs to many MWs – since the implementation and the investment in energy production from photovoltaic systems is the main orientation of the member companies. For this reason, the prerequisite to become a member of SPEF is to have grid connected a photovoltaic plant. Therefore, there is a significant volume of membership applications that will be accepted as soon as the relative PV parks will have been installed and grid connected.
According to the statute of the Association, its purpose is in detail:
1. The promotion of financial and legal issues and support the interests of photovoltaic producers.
2. The study of problems related to the production of energy from photovoltaic plants.
3. The defense of the economic and professional interests of the members of the Association.
4. The necessary coordination in order to simplify all procedures that are involved in the authorization and operation of PV parks that are run by government (or not) entities.
5. The representation of the members to the government, to the international authorities and the media.
6. Any initiative or action which aims to eliminate the greenhouse effect and to protect the environment.
SPEF is represented by a Managing Board of 9 members, which is elected directly by the members of the Association and has a three-year-service period.